Technology Tools for Teachers and Educators
The Mediocre teacher tells,
The good teacher explains,
The superior teacher demonstrates,
the great teacher inspires......
William Arthur Ward
If you are a teacher or a professor, you cannot survive with out technology and impress or inspire students of this generation. If you want to become a great teacher, here are some tools that you can use for your teaching and learning. The tools are characterised based on the categories. One or more of the tools can be used within or outside the classroom.
|Technology Tools for Teachers|
- MS Office (Power Point, Word and Excel)
- Libre Office (Its Free and open source)
- WPS Office (Its free, have support of all the MS Office files)
- Prezi (Its a tool for infographics and animations within presentation)
- MS Sway (This is from Microsoft and its a graphic content generation that can make the students learn the subject in a greater depth
- Keynote (for Apple machines). Others also can use through www.icloud.com to generate presentation using keynote.
- Facebook Groups
- Google Groups
Learning and Content Management Systems
- MOODLE (Its complete LMS that have assignments, projects, quizzes, wiki, etc.). If you are individual cannot afford, you may use www.moodlecloud.com
- Wordpress (For Blogging)
- Drupal (Its for designing a portal for a list of subjects)
- Joomla(Its also for designing a portal with industry standards)
Google itself have suggested various tools for Education and Learning. You can use these tools and get ready.
- Blogger (its a blogging platform, you can record your classmates and other information in a blog, its there infinite, you can refer back to these contents even after 20+ years)
- Youtube (Video Lectures made learning fast)
- Google Apps for education (If you are a school or a college, you may request google to provide the tools for free)
Screen Recording and Video Recording
Debut Video Capture (You can record a video lecture when you are conducting a class and upload it to youtube or any other video hosting sites.) This software is completely free for educational purpose. just 2MB of size, it do wonders
- Camstudio (This also free to use)
- Jing (Its also free, you can take a screenshot image and screenshot video for a duration of 5 minutes and can record in SWF format). Its very handy to use.
- Camtasia (Its a software but with paid subscription). Too costly to use this software.
- Simple Screen Recorder (this is for Linux OS and comes free with open source)
- VokoScreen (this is also linux, Its also free and open source).
- QuickTime Player for Mac OS Machines.
Assume you want to handle a lecture outside the classroom you need a software that allows you to talk and present to your students. Here is the list
- Skype (only with limited users)
- Google Hangouts (maximum of 15 students )
- Apache Openmeeting (You need to configure this to work for group of students). Its also free to use.
- BigBlueButton with Greenlights (This also need to configured for use). But its free to use
Animation and Cartoon Creation
Sometimes we can create content with animation and cartoons. if you need to use it in your classroom lecture, here are some tools. They are free for limited use.
- Toondoo.com (Its a site to create cartoon using your own characters and world recognised characters)
- goanimate.com (This is to create animated videos with your own dialogues)
- MIT Scratch (This is free and open source, but everything is online to create graphical content.)
Mobile Apps based
A teacher can create his or her own mobile applications also in teaching. Without the technicalities, one can easily create mobile apps for android and iOS. Here are the tools to create such apps
- Android Studio for android apps.
- MIT App Inventor 2 for Android Apps.
- Xcode for iOS apps.
- Apple Swift for creating iOS apps