Bourne Again Shell (bash) is the common shell used in Unix/Linux based Operating Systems. Also these days, even Windows OS also comes with an option called Power Shell. This post will list out some basic exercises that a shell can do. Do follow this blog with more number of exercises.
To run a bash file, you can use either of these following commands
- bash file.sh
- sh file.sh
- ./file.sh (in this case the file.sh should be made executable)
For making executable file, use this command chmod 755 file.sh
1. A Shell to Handle a File, rename a given file, compress it and move it to a newfolder and decompress it in the newfolder
2: touch pri.txt
3: ls >; pri.txt
4: mv pri.txt file.doc
5: tar zcvf compress.tar.gz file.doc
6: mkdir newfolder/
7: cp compress.tar.gz newfolder/
8: cd newfolder/
9: tar zxvf compress.tar.gz
2. A shell to find a particular string from a file and redirect it to another file.
echo "Enter a string to be searched in the file : "
echo "Enter a file name : "
grep $search $name_file > found.txt
3. A shell to read a variable and process it mathematically (use of add operation).
echo -n "Enter 1st number : "
echo -n "Enter 2nd number : "
c=`expr $a + $b`
echo "The value is $c"
4. A shell to Greet the user based on the system time.
if [ "$dat" -lt 12 ];
echo "Good Morning"
elif [ "$dat" -lt 17 ] ;
echo "Good Afternoon"
echo "Good Evening"
5. A shell to create a menu based system to control multiple commands using case esac block
echo "What do you want to know ?"
echo "1. Today's Date"
echo "2. Today's Day"
echo "3. Time"
echo "4. Current Month"
echo "5. Current Year"
echo "6. Current Week"
echo "Enter a number to choose from the menu"
case "$ch" in
echo "Today's date is $dat"
echo "Today is $day"
echo "The time now is $time"
echo "The month is $mon"
echo "The year is $year"
echo "This is the $week th of the year"
echo "Try again"
6. A shell to find the number of document files in a given directory using for loop.
for i in *.doc
count=`expr $count + 1`
echo "There are $count documents"
Try running these examples and get the use of SHELL.
Pradeep Kumar TS