The ns2 version taken here is 2.31, if you downloaded any other version, please modify your version during installation
1)Uncompress the ns2
tar zxvf ns-allinone-2.31.tar.gz
gzip -d ns-allinone-2.31.tar.gz
tar xvf ns-allinone-2.31.tar
2) cd /opt/ns-allinone-2.31 (since /opt is the folder which is unused, so i have selected that folder to install, however you can install that in any folder)
3) ./install (execute the command)
4) If the installation fails in the middle, then try to install the linux packages that are
necessary to run NS2. (In any linux (ubuntu or fedora or redhat or suse), install the TCL/TK, Perl packages during the installation of linux…)
5) Once the installation succeeded, then the path information will be provided by the NS2
6) Set the path in the /root/.bash_profile
If you are a user home/
7) set the PATH and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH according to the point number 11.
8) logout and login.
9) go to the terminal and try ns or nam
10) for running the examples comes along with the distribution of NS2
11. This is how you will see once the ns2 installation is success, from this information, you can put the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable..
////////////////This is the successful installation of the NS2 package
Ns-allinone package has been installed successfully.
Here are the installation places:
gt-itm: /opt/ns-allinone-2.31/itm, edriver, sgb2alt, sgb2ns, sgb2comns, sgb2hierns
Please put /opt/ns-allinone-2.31/bin:/opt/ns-allinone-2.31/tcl8.4.14/unix:/opt/ns-allinone-2.31/tk8.4.14/unix
into your PATH environment; so that you’ll be able to run itm/tclsh/wish/xgraph.
(1) You MUST put /opt/ns-allinone-2.31/otcl-1.13, /opt/ns-allinone-2.31/lib,
into your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.
If it complains about X libraries, add path to your X libraries
If you are using csh, you can set it like:
If you are using sh, you can set it like:
(2) You MUST put /opt/ns-allinone-2.31/tcl8.4.14/library into your TCL_LIBRARY environmental
variable. Otherwise ns/nam will complain during startup.
After these steps, you can now run the ns validation suite with
cd ns-2.31; ./validate
For trouble shooting, please first read ns problems page
http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html. Also search the ns mailing list archive
for related posts.