As we all know that, we (http://www.vit.ac.in) have transformed our email services to Google apps. There are so many advantages compared to our previous MS Exchange Services. This post will elaborate you on most of the aspects of google apps for our campus solution.
The most important benefit is use of Gmail User Interface (which is one of the most advanced Email Solution)
here the following pic shows you some of the products you may be interested.
- You can create a site using http://sites.google.com and also make all your students to post comments about the topics they are interested and you can post contents ,etc (you can also allow guests inside your site or only your students inside your site)
- You can create a blog and invite authors as your students. you can use http://www.blogger.com
- You can post pictures in http://picasaweb.google.com
- Like the above, you can use almost everything that provided by Google.
- You can create a grouping inside google using the http://groups.google.com and make your own students to be part of the group and share contents and data.
On the other side,
- if you have already another gmail account, you can import all your emails from your Google apps account to your existing gmail account and even you can “Send email as” from the existing google account
- Occasionally, if you feel to take a backup of your google account data, there is a facility, just login to http://accounts.google.com and there are three options as specfied in the image below. In this image,
- you can download the account activity periodically to your mail box. Google sends a mail periodically to download the data (if you are leaving your workplace), these data can make help of you.
- Also you have the option of what kinda data you want to download, here is the screenshot, (picasa images can be downloaded, your profile data (google+ profile) and contacts of your email and Google+ contacts).
- Also, you can read your emails, blogging, picasa, etc everything inside any Phone (android or ios or Blackberry or even Windows phone).
- Google handles all the security for you.
- So let us not bother about the data and your contents (all are quite preserved by Google cloud)
Finally, you can make your account so secure that you can opt for “2 step authentication” from google. This is very much advantageous when you use your google account at various places. You can use your password only in the web. In all other places, you can use a temporary password suggested by google and use that (For Example. inside your android or smartphone, if you want to configure your email, you can use a temporary password and anytime you can revoke, if for example, your phone is lost or stolen)
Here is the screenshot of it.
So keep using the services of Google and you can comment below if you found any new service that is enabled by Google.